Saturday, January 2, 2010

Revision

I spoke really poorly in my previous post. I was all "20 seconds of nothing happening is too boring," and "it doesn't need to be any longer." I'll try to clarify what I meant, 'cause what I said was total garbage.
I said that I didn't understand why people thought my cartoon was too short, when I should have questioned why it would have been better with filler. See, I'd rather watch a 5 minute video that's non-stop entertaining instead of a 10 minute video that's half entertaining and half tolerable, and I'd be bothered to watch a 15 minute video that's one-third entertaining, one-third tolerable, and one-third filler (such as poorly done exposition). It feels like an awful lot of people, on Newgrounds at least, would prefer the 15 minute video over the 10 or 5 minute ones. In short, I felt that there was as much entertaining material as was necessary in my video (though I certainly COULD have added more), but people would have enjoyed it more if I added 60 seconds of people standing around doing nothing interesting. This bugs me.
Also, as a general rule, if there is an expanse of 20 seconds in a video that is neither entertaining nor vital to the story, it seems to me that it can be cut out. A couple movies that are great about not wasting any time or boring the viewers are Princess Mononoke and Dead Leaves. Check them out if you get the chance.
Lastly, I posted a sketchy thing on Newgrounds yesterday. I have LOTS of wee doodles like this, but I wont post any others.

No comments: